Monday 17 February 2014

No Cats in the Lab!

After all the questing lately, I realized that our potion stock was running rather low. I took to the laboratory today with the Lady Commander of Copics to begin work crafting some new elixirs, tonics and mana potions for us Guildys. As usual, my sister showed up thirty minutes late and when she did finally come sauntering into the lab, she had her feline daemon, Ronin with her.
“What is that beast doing in my lab?” I demanded, pushing my safety goggles to the top of my head, smearing pink powder across my forehead in the process.
The Lady Commander looked down at Ronin, “He was lonely. Don’t worry, he won’t be any trouble,” she promised.
I pulled my goggles back down and mumbled that he was the worst behaved, most destructive creature at the Guild Hall and trouble was his middle name. 

I started this card by stamping the Stampotique “Nerd Cat” image onto kraft paper and colouring it using Prismacolor pencils. I made the glasses pink, since my own glasses are pink and this was my husband’s Valentine’s Day card. Setting that aside in a safe place, I set the work on the background. I rubbed a white piece of cardstock with Worn Lipstick Distress Ink and sprayed it with water. After drying it I used a blending tool around the edges with Picked Raspberry DI. I then used the Tim Holtz “Faded Dots” stencil and some Picket Fence Distress Paint on the background. A few circles and hearts from Unity stamps finished it off.

Next I used my brand new Lawn Fawn “Science of Love” set to stamp out the beakers and test tube and fussy cut them out after colouring them with Distress Markers. I added some glossy accents to them to make them look more glass-like, earning me +500 glossy XP points. I stamped the sentiment using that same Lawn Fawn set, mounting it on kraft paper. In my stash I had some bookmarks with the periodic table printed on them that my husband had acquired from a science conference a few years ago and given to me for crafts….well….this was the perfect opportunity to use one. I cut apart the periodic table, colouring some of the edges with DI and glued them to the background as well.

On the inside I stamped the top sentiment using the “Science of Love” set and the bottom one from the Lawn Fawn “My Silly Valentine” set.  I also used up the leftover pieces of the periodic table on the inside. After gluing them down I realized they kinda looked like Tetris blocks falling….oh well.

The envelope I spritzed with Dylusions spray ink and then used the Faded Dots stencil with Worn Lipstick DI to tie it in with the card front.

This smarty cat will experiment in the following challenges:
Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge: A Cameo Appearance (Distress Paint made a cameo appearance in the background)

It only took about six minutes before Ronin had knocked over a jar of rare bulbous petals. Ignoring the Lady Commander’s cries of protest that he wouldn’t do it again, I confined her daemon to a cage in the corner of the lab before he could destroy any more precious ingredients and set to work on the potions. Cats….this is why I do not allow them in my lab…

~ Guild Master Crystal ~

17 comments:

Kathi said...

I love this! It's fabulous.

Nerd Cat is absolutely perfect, especially with the pink glasses!

I'm married to a chemist so I will need to get that Lawn Fawn set eventually. I wish I had some of those Periodic Table bookmarks. They would be ever so useful.

Thanks for playing along with my first challenge at Stampotique Designers Challenges!

Brenda said...

This is an adorable card! I am loving all the elements on your card, so cute and cool looking. The nerdy cat is just awesome! lol Thanks for joining us at Jo's FFC;-)

Vickie Y said...

Adorable image and card! Thank you for playing along with us at MFP Simple Salutations Challenge.

Jackie said...

Love the step by step instructions.... Enjoyed learning how you did your background
Nerdy cat works so well on Kraft card!
Thank you for joining us at stampotique

Unknown said...

So creative! Love your sense of humour and your totally unique make. Thanks for joining us at Totally Papercrafts.
Cheers Nicole DT

Kate said...

Such a great card - especially as it combines cats and chemistry (two of my favourite things)! I'm loving those glasses on the cat - and how fun to include portions of the periodic table too! So clever!

Thanks so much for playing along with us at My Craft Spot!

Kate
Small Bits of Paper

Steph Ackerman said...

Awesome card. Thanks for playing at MFP Simple Salutations.

Kay Wallace said...

You could not have purchased a more perfect valentine for your husband--not for a million dollars! I love it! So glad that you participated in the Stampotique Designers' Challenge, as I would not have wanted to miss this great art!

Emily Leiphart said...

LOL, this is hilarious and one of the best Valentine's cards I've seen. I love the kitty and the bits of periodical table scattered around the card. Awesome! Thanks so much for playing along with the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge: Get Krafty!

Tracy said...

Thanks for joining Allsorts challenge with this great entry, good luck.
Happy crafting
Tracy x

Mervi said...

Fabulous and cute card, great image!
Thank you for sharing at Allsorts Challenge, good luck;-))m

Sandra said...

What a super cute card! Love the theme of the card! The cat is really adorable! Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Hugs, Sandra

Sherrie K. said...

What a FUN card! love the theme...that kitty is adorable!
Thanks for joining us in the challenge at My Craft Spot!
Sherrie K
http://sherriescraps.blogspot.com

Christine said...

Awesome card. DH would be so impressed to get a Valentine with the periodic table on it. I bow my feathered cap to you! Thanks for sharing with us at MFP's Simple Salutations.

*Arwen* said...

Awwww so cute!! I love it. Think your honey was very happy ;)
Thanks for joining us at Stampotique DC

xx Arwen

Tanya~Studio 5380 said...

What a fun card! This is really just cute as can be - thanks so much for playing along with our challenge this week at My Craft Spot!

Cathy's Obsessions Still said...

Cute card.. love the image and sentiment!! Thanks for playing with us at Love To Scrap! Challenge Blog!!
Hugs,
Cathy DT

Post a Comment

All comments give us a little exp, allowing us to level up faster! The Crafters Guild thanks your exp contribution!